Each person who apply for non-immigrant visa- including children must have to fill their own Form DS-160 visa application. The Form DS-160 is completed and submitted online before scheduling interview at the Embassy or Consulate. After submitting Ds 160 a bar code number appears on a confirmation page, known as receipt. This bar code number is required. The barcode number is required in order to book your interview. The printed confirmation page must be taken to the interview.
The Embassy or Consulate never accepts handwritten or typed applications and if you do so then you will not be permitted to attend your interview. Thus, having a form DS-160 confirmation page is very important.
Note: Applicants are advised to fill each filed in the DS 160 Form very carefully because when the applicants sign their DS-160 electronically, they are certifying that all the information filled in it is true and correct. Misrepresenting any facts could render you ineligible to enter the United States.
Guidelines for Completing the Form DS-160
- DS-160 application online prior to making an appointment for an interview at the Embassy or Consulate.
- Before start filling Ds 160, you are asked to select the Us embassy or Consulate for your interview. The Consulate you select at the beginning of the Form DS-160 can be different from the Embassy/Consulate where you schedule your interview appointment.
- You have to answer all the questions in English using English-language characters only, except when you are asked to provide your full name in your native alphabet
- • While filling Ds 160 form If you stop working on it for more than 20 minutes, than the session will expire and you will have to start over, unless you have recorded your Application ID Number or have saved your application to a file on your computer.
- If you need to close the browser before submitting your application, you are advised to write down the Application ID displayed on the top right-hand corner of the page, as you will need this Application ID to continue your application.
- After submitting Ds 160 form a confirmation page will appear with an alpha-numeric barcode confirmation page. You have to print this page. The printed confirmation page is required for the appointment at the Visa Application Centre and for the interview at the Embassy/Consulate.